[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
EthnobotanyExperts • View topic - Salvia Divinorum

Salvia Divinorum

Discuss all things ethnobotanical for which no separate forum exists.

Salvia Divinorum

Postby Chinaski » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:58 pm

Discuss the lady Salvia, the Mazatec visionary teacher plant, here.
"You have to die a few times before you can really live." - CB
Chinaski
Site Admin

Re: Salvia Divinorum

Postby Solipsis » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:43 am

Nice, was looking for topics in this part of the forum :)

I don't really use Salvia, but I am growing one plant and one cutting that is doing well. In the past I have smoked Salvia and found it interesting and in retrospect I am glad that I never broke through overwhelmingly, I like psychedelics but that just doesn't sound like it is for me.

Maybe I will try making a tincture at some point though, for a more dilated and less flash-like experience. At this rate I am going to have to propagate my plants a bit more though, or just get some plain leaf from somewhere else of course.

I could upload pics of the plants if you like. ;)
Solipsis
Ethnobotany Novice

Postby PaliGap » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Please do! I'm always very interested in other people's homegrown projects. I've had some major overwhelming break through smoked Salvia events in the distant past. I guess it was too weird for me to pursue these to no end. They have served their purpose. After that, however, I've still smoked some real low, non-visionary, amounts at rare occasions and discovered that this was surprisingly superb for sleep (I had some insomnia at the time and still have sometimes).
If you'll get to making a tincture, I hope you'll keep us informed. :handgestures-salute:
Give us a point to miss... Endings are killing me slow
I only ask for this... Emptiness replace my soul

- John Frusciante
PaliGap
Ethnobotany Stayer

Postby Solipsis » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Hier zijn wat foto's :)

Erbij staat wijnruit en Silene Capensis, en een stekje.

IMAG0628_25percent.jpg
IMAG0628_25percent.jpg (186.73 KiB) Viewed 27720 times

IMAG0654_25percent.jpg
IMAG0654_25percent.jpg (180.87 KiB) Viewed 27720 times
Solipsis
Ethnobotany Novice

Postby PaliGap » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for these photos Solipsis. Looking good! Lady Salvia is getting pretty big there, and she even attracts the attention of the unsuspecting butterfly-passer-by it seems, haha. How long have you had this one (and how big was it when you got it)?
So the second photo is, correct me if I'm wrong, from left to right: African Dream Root, Syrian Rue (front), small Salvia (back) and big Salvia? All useful and strong ethnos IMHO. Really really nice. I wish my thumbs were greener than they are!

- John Frusciante
PaliGap
Ethnobotany Stayer

Postby PaliGap » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:53 am

I'm sorry, it's not Syrian Rue I see, but Ruta Graveolens...

- John Frusciante
PaliGap
Ethnobotany Stayer

Postby Solipsis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:17 am

Hey, apologies for the Dutch (might notve been many words and the traffic is modest now, but its the principle).. it seems it is too late to edit. So yea not a big deal but will keep an eye on it.

I just checked and I got Big Sally in april, back then it was about as big as my biggest cutting is now. About 10+ cm, and clearly firmly rooted and ready to really take off, growing and making lots of new parts, it has a lot more leaves compared to the real babies:
I have two tiny cuttings that are rooting now, maybe like 4-5 cm stems. One of them has a stem that is really curling insanely, must be from growing unilaterally, it is almost doing a full looping now! But, like the bigger cutting, I fixed it by tie-wrapping the stem to a support stick. I cut the bigger cutting free recently and it now grows nice and straight on its own.
You probably cannot really see but the cutting I originally received from an ethnobotany 'expert' friend has a curl at the very bottom. Considering I've seen this tendency 2 out of 3 times now, I'd bet good money that he did not fix this problem. It's not purely an aesthetics thing IMO, Salvia plants cannot really support their own weight when they grow bigger, that is the whole way they reproduce which you might know: they don't really produce viable seeds or if they do, that is not their true strategy. Instead they just fall over and start rooting again where they hit the ground.
Yet, I've seen pics of huge Salvia plants so clearly they can manage that way if they have to.

Actually I am planning on really multiplying the numbers of my Salvia's. Both because I'd like to experiment with extractions of harvested leaves in the future and cause I wanna try selling / trading cuttings when I can.

IMO you don't really need green thumbs for Salvia D. what I hear from others and am seeing myself is that it does very well on its own. There are just some basic do's and don'ts but it is not about it being difficult. More about if you 'd be willing to just care for it and give it attention and mostly just watering enough.

You're right about that other plant being Ruta Graveolens i.e. Rue and not Syrian Rue. AFAIK rue is not psychoactive but it does have kokusaginine which was at some point considered as the explanation for 'red jungle spice' i.e. a special version of DMT extract.
Anyway if anything I'd like it if the rue deters cats a little from taking a crap adjacent to my garden like they used to. It was an insane cat turd graveyard before I got rid of the crap and placed tiles there...

Silene capensis is for another thread of course..
I sowed a lot of things yesterday, including Trichocereus Peruvianus but yeah also things for other threads...
Solipsis
Ethnobotany Novice

Postby Solipsis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Solipsis
Ethnobotany Novice

Return to Ethnobotanical Discussion