NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine)

Discuss all nootropics and food supplements here.

NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine)

Postby Chinaski » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:48 pm

After hearing raving recommendations for N-Acetyl-Cysteine, I got some from a friend (Swanson brand). It has been lying around for a while now and I haven't come around to trying it yet. I know it's supposed to be good for cells, kidneys and liver, amongst many other things. Does anyone here have any experience with it?
"You have to die a few times before you can really live." - CB
Chinaski
Site Admin

Re: NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine)

Postby Solipsis » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Yes I have it, when added to my nootropics stack / post workout shake it makes the taste a bit nasty and - what I assume to be excess - can produce some sulfury farts.
Sure it is supposed to support liver function (which is why I have it), but my feeling is that milk thistle extract which I also take, is better for liver restoration. That feeling is based on it having more claims while NAC is more proven for things like paracetamol OD.
Solipsis
Ethnobotany Novice

Postby Chinaski » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:42 am

Interesting. I've been taking it for a week now, for liver support. I also have some milk thistle seeds somewhere, but haven't taken them yet.
Are you adding them to your nt stack for the glutamate? Does the NAC add extra memory enhancing qualities then?
I've also heard 'stories' about NAC being anticarcinogenic (due to being structurally beneficial on a cellular and mitochondrial level).
"You have to die a few times before you can really live." - CB
Chinaski
Site Admin

Postby Solipsis » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:35 am

For the modulation of glutamatergic action? Not really... like I said, mostly for protection / restoration of liver / kidneys. Check out info on adverse effects on wiki for safer use though...

I don't think the effects of NAC should be overestimated. I certainly wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't dirt cheap and had not helped fill out my order amount.
Solipsis
Ethnobotany Novice

Return to Nootropic & Food Supplement Discussion